I happen to be a woman who plays drums professionally. I
also happen to have the privilege of serving many church bands through a local
network that organizes teams to meet their needs.
Over the years, I have learned to laugh off a lot of
ignorant comments such as “You’re a girl and you play drums? That’s so hardcore” and “You’re pretty good for a girl” . .
. the subtext here being that being female is a handicap to my drumming ability
or that playing the instrument that I love is not a suitable activity because
I’m a female. I’m used to being introduced at bar and restaurant gigs as “our
drummer . . . she’s hot” or “the chick drummer.” Male musicians get to be
introduced to the crowd according to their skill or something about them (“he
rocks,” “he shreds,” “he’s from Atlanta, Georgia”), but my identity is reduced
to my body and my gender.
I have hope that worship music can be a space transcendent
of these value systems, and can resonate with the acceptance and sacrificial
love of a God who has no gender bias. I have found that often, it isn’t, and it
doesn’t. Last week while playing in a church I’d never visited before, a gentleman
on the worship team approached me and asked me if I have “anger issues.” The
“you-must-be-angry-because-you-play-drums” jokes continued along with inappropriate
comments such as “I feel sorry for your boyfriend,” etc. While I get that the
point of the joke is that I must be angry because I hit things to play my
instrument, it is clear to me that a man would never be on the receiving end of
such statements (“I feel sorry for your girlfriend,” and so forth). He was more
or less saying that drumming is too aggressive an activity for a woman (perhaps
I should find a knitting circle to join instead).
Church folk tend to get really freaked out by the word
“feminism,” and I’ve heard many pastors try to argue that the church doesn’t
need feminism because “God doesn’t need feminism.” And half of that argument is
absolutely right: God DOESN’T need feminism. He sees us for who we are; he has
no gender bias. But the catastrophic mistake being made here is the presumption
that WE don’t need feminism. WE do. WE need a way of thinking that dismantles
the value systems of our society, which have taught us that women are objects,
and that their worth is rooted in appearances and identity performances.
Exposing these lies and the damage they have done to us is at the heart of
feminism. Freedom from the destructive ideologies of the world is at the heart
of God. In short, we are on the same side.
These are the patronizations I encounter every day. This is
why I need feminism--so that I can share my passion and love in worship and
keep hoping for a day where playing music won’t coincide with being humiliated
and treated like a circus act. So that I can do my job with professionalism and
excellence. And this is why my church needs feminism, too—so that our sisters
and daughters can freely answer their callings and use their gifts and talents
for the glory of God and the edification of the body of Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment